Are you finding that the painkillers that don’t actually work?
Your pain could be from your low back discs and they are always affected by poor posture in your work truck , ute or car.
Here is a checklist to see if your pain could be coming from your disc.
How disc pain starts:
- The pain didn’t start immediately with an injury
- It started slowly and has gradually builds up over time.
How the pain feels:
- It feels like a severe “toothache” in your back and leg
- It is “nerve like" and goes down from your back to your leg
Does your pain get worse in this way?
- The pain is worse when you wake up in the morning it is both stiff and painful.
- You are really stiff and painful when you get up from sitting.
- It is worse when sitting after some time
- It is worse if you do too much.
Does your pain feel better when you do this?
- You feel better after moving around a little as long as you don’t move around too much!
- It feels better with a little bit of rest as long as you don’t stay rested for too long.
If you score five or more of these points then your pain could be coming from a disc in your back.
Disc bulges have two ways that they affect the nerves in your low back that go down your leg.
A disc bulge will press against the nerve that goes down your leg and stop the nerve from moving freely when you are busy.
It also physically pushes against the nerve fibers and causes them to conduct a painful message that goes down the leg where the nerve goes.
The disc bulge is an injury of your soft tissue and this causes inflammation.
Inflammation is a hot, swollen response to any injury.
If you want to remember how inflammation feels then imagine a very large red itchy and swollen mosquito bite deep in your body at the nerve.
Inflammation is exquisitely painful however; it is even more painful when next to a very sensitive nerve.
How does your car seat cause the pain to be worse?
Most cars are not designed for good sitting posture so your disc gets deformed when you are in the car and this sets off the disc pressure against the nerve so that you get the inflammation.